The FREE BOILER scheme is currently closed for new applications. We will keep you updated with regard to updates on this – please keep checking our website!
In the meantime, why not consider some of the advice below with regard to saving energy?
Half of your bill is likely to be for heating. If you can keep the heat in, you’ll lose less energy.
Depending upon the type of walls you have, you could benefit from cavity, solid exterior or interior wall insulation, see our insulation page for more details.
Benefit from double-glazing, secondary glazing or a thermal seal inside.
Carpets can help keep in warmth. You can also install insulation beneath floorboards.
There are simple measures you can make cheaply with materials from your local DIY shop:
- Sash windows: foam, metal or plastic draught or brush strips
- Exterior doors: try brush or hinged flap draught excluders for the base. A letterbox brush and keyhole cover helps too
- Interior doors: use door brushes or a homemade draught excluder snake
- Unused chimneys: a chimney balloon will work, remember to remove it in summer or before re-using the fireplace
- Gaps around pipework: apply silicone mastic, wall filler or expanding foam
- Floorboards and skirting boards:fill gaps with flexible fillers, clear or brown silicone mastic, decorator’s caulk
- Cracks in walls: use cement or hard-setting decorator’s wall filler
- Loft hatches: put strips of draught excluder around the edges of the frame and insulate the hatch itself.
Making sure that your heating system is maintained and working properly will keep your costs down.
Click on the links below to find out about different heating systems:
- Gas central heating and boilers
- Ground source heat pumps
- Air source heat pumps
- Wood burning stoves
- Biomass heating
- Thermostats and controls
- Night storage heaters
- Room heaters
- Underfloor heating
- Solar water heating
*Figures accurate as of 02/14, Energy Savings Trust. www.energysaving trust.org.uk
**Terms and conditions apply.
†Terms and conditions apply. Only customers who meet the eligibility requirements shall qualify for the offer. Offer only applies to boiler measures recommended by an appointed surveyor and is subject to survey. Offer only applicable to residential properties and excludes all other properties including commercial or part commercial premises. The offer is subject to availability and subject to change or withdrawal at any time. Price of £250 includes VAT. The applicant agrees that any resultant ECO boiler installation contract arising from the Council’s assistance shall be between the applicant and British Gas solely, as such the applicant indemnifies and holds harmless the council and Plymouth Energy Community from any losses sustained or damage incurred as a result of arising from the ECO boiler installation contract with British Gas.
†† Free from a BT landline. Costs from other service providers and mobiles may vary – calls may be monitored for training purposes. Phone lines are open Monday to Friday, 9am – 7pm. Closed on Bank Holidays.